Button Known Bugs
about help privacy register
Forums
Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: learn how to use the hex edit to modify saved game, how do i do tit< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ranger Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members

Member Rating: None
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2003,00:26  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

how do i learn how to use the hex edit to modify saved game I don't understand how to change the binary file to cheat game please tell me about the web that tech the hexedit for beginner.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
andrew Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators

Member Rating: 4
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2003,03:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

> how do i learn how to use the hex edit to modify saved game ...  

This depends on whether 1) you have information about the file format, or 2) you have to decipher it yourself.

1) For popular games someone has probably already worked out a "cheat" or a way to patch saved game files. There are whole web sites dedicated to this sort of thing, although I can't recommend any having never used them.

Most cheats are probably of the form: At address X in the saved game file change the byte (or word etc) to Y. As a double-check that you are changing the right thing it should also mention what the value (or range of values) should be before you make the change.  

Numbers are probably stored as integers in a single byte, a word (2 bytes=16 bits) or a double word (4 bytes=32 bits), but remember that (on Intel machines) the order is little-endian. Using the HexEdit Properties dialog makes it easier to change many different formats including 8, 16, 32, and 64 bit integers (signed or unsigned), floating point numbers etc.  See the on-line help for more information about how numbers etc are stored in binary files.

IMPORTANT: Remember to save a backup copy of the file before modifying it in case your changes have an adverse effect.

2) If you have no information about the format of the saved game file you can often work out something by trial and error.  Below is a simple example.  Reverse-engineering more difficult formats can be very frustrating and time-consuming.

You may be able to work out where in a saved-game file such things as number of lives are stored in the following way. Take a copy of a saved game, then load the game, do something that loses a life, then save it to a different file.

Then, hopefully comparing the 2 files using HexEdit's compare (Alt+C) facility will show only the location that stores the number of lives as being different. You can then try increasing this value and loading the saved game again to see if you have more lives.

--------------
Andrew Phillips
Moderator of Forums and creator of Hex Edit
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
SOMEONE
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2007,05:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

CAN I ENABLE GOD MODE BY HEX EDITING? HOW

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2007,12:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What GOD mode is and how to get into it depends on the game you are talking about.  But almost certainly it would not be saved in a saved game file and a hex editor would not be any use. :( That is, it is a mode that is enabled when running the game in some way.

If a game has a GOD mode then there will be a way to get into it, usually by entering a code from the keyboard at some point.  Try looking on the Internet by searching for "GOD mode" and the name of the game.

--------------
Andrew Phillips
 Post Number: 5
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2007,23:24 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

can you teach me how cani find the right offset address that we are looking for with a quick way even if try and error?? thanks

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2007,18:32 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

> can you teach me how cani find the right offset address that we are looking for ...

You have to give me a clue about what you are looking for or what you are tryin to do.

--------------
Andrew Phillips
 Post Number: 7
Unregistered

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2007,21:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i want to search for money and other stat in a save game...
money and another stat usually in what offset address??
i have try to search n change but i get my game hang....

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2007,16:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why would you think money etc would be stored and any address usually?  It is completely up to whoeever write the code to read/write the saved game info.

The typical way to approach this is to create 2 very similar saved games and compare the differences.  Ie save your game, do something very simple that chnages your money then save it again.  Use HexEdit to compare the files and hopefully only one or a few bytes have changed.  This is explained in more detial in lots of websites.

You also have to have an idea of the possible formats numbers could be stored in.  This is explained in the HexEdit help.

An even better way would be to find info or even a saved game editor for the game you are using.  Use Google to do a search.

--------------
Andrew Phillips
7 replies since Nov. 13 2003,00:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply learn how to use the hex edit to modify saved game
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code